Unstuffed Green Pepper Soup
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 40 mins
- 1 cup white onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 cups green peppers, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 28 ounces canned whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup v- 8 juice
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked rice
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 medium white potatoes, cubed
- salt and pepper
- In a large dutch oven over medium heat add the oil, onion, celery, and green peppers.
- Saute until just tender, stirring frequently.
- Stir in ground beef to onion mixture and cook approximately 15 minutes or until the meat is browned and no longer pink.
- Add uncooked rice and mix thoroughly.
- Slowly stir in tomatoes, V-8 juice, 6 cups vegetable broth and diced potatoes.
- Season soup with brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and pepper and cover with lid.
- Let soup simmer slowly for one hour or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve with fresh baked bread or hard rolls.