- 1 large vidalia onions or 1 large sweet onion
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Cut onion into 1/2 inch slices; separate into rings.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, baking soda and cayenne.
- Combine the egg and buttermilk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1 inch of oil to 375°.
- Dip onion rings into batter.
- Fry a few at a time for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels (keep warm in a 300° oven).