- 2 slices black bread or 2 slices white bread
- 1⁄4 cup milk or 1⁄4 cup flat beer
- 1 lb ground pork
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 6 slices thin bacon
- 1 teaspoon butter
- MILK GRAVY
- 1 tablespoon flour
- pan dripping, from slavinken
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup light cream
- FOR THE SLAVINKEN: Crumble bread, pour milk or beer on top and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Squeeze bread to remove excess liquid, if any.
- Place in a bowl.
- Add ground pork, salt, pepper, nutmeg, allspice and onion.
- Knead mixture until well blended.
- Form into 6 cylinders and wrap a slice of bacon around each one.
- Secure with a wooden pick.
- Melt butter in a cast-iron frying pan.
- Fry the slavinken over medium heat, 6 minutes on each side.
- Remove to a hot platter as they become cooked, and keep warm.
- Serves 6.
- FOR THE MILK GRAVY: Stir flour into the remaining fat in the pan used to make the slavinken and cook over medium heat until it becomes a caramel colour.
- Add milk and light cream.
- Stir until creamy.
- Add parsley and season to taste.
- Pour over meat or serve separately.